January 11, 2012

Missing western culture a bit


In the few months I've been in Korea, only managed to make 2 non-coffee shop friends, but today one of them left, Maxi went traveling for a few months, so now only Okkeun's left. And he will also go traveling next month :((((


A non-coffee shop friend is a friend I can meet outside the coffee shop. Meaning there is no need to meet at a loud and crowded location, like a coffee shop, bar, restaurant.


Non-coffee shop friends are the ones that can come over to my place or i can go to theirs, we can cook together, watch a movie, have a cup of tea, play some games or just talk.


With the coffee shop friends, you always need to spend money, because they dont hang out a free places, like parks or libraries or each others places. So I usually try to avoid them. Not because im cheap or anything, but because the less money I spend, the more time I get to live without working and doing things I like, if I go to the coffee shop or dine out every day I'll probably go bankrupt in a few weeks.
And I don't even like coffee, why do I have to pay 5 or 7 dollars for something I can get for free at home?


In Europe, Australia and South America 95% of my friends were non-coffee shop friends (maybe not 95%, I just really really like statistics) but in Asia that percentage drops down to less than 5% of my friends. For example in Japan, I was there for almost 6 months and managed to make only 1 non-coffee shop friend, only one! (referring to the locals, western friends are usually non-coffee shop)


But.. Joint consumption doesn't bring intimacy... joint creativity does!!


I hate living in the past, but actually I really really miss Argentina, where my friends would come over at least few times a week for a game of tekken and they'd bring pizza and we would stay up playing until 5 in the morning and then go to sleep all together in some joint mattresses in the floor, maybe 10 people in 3 mattresses, those were good times!


Or in Germany where patryk or Jurgen would drop by for a cup of tea every time they were around and then went play frisbee in the park, and then cooking all together and playing UNO and for a bike ride. Those were awesome times!


In Korea or Japan, is just meeting at the entrance of the subway, walking 10mts and sitting at the coffee shop.. for 2 hours...


http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000687013/polls_starbucks_corporate_coffee_sucks_4733_203328_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg


No comments:

Post a Comment