November 25, 2013

thoughts on general life advice that was given to me at an earlier time and place


but you know actually, i agree with gustavo that everyone should work at some farm for at least a month every year so that later, when they come back to the city they don't take for granted the food they eat every day

and my granfather also was right about something. He always told me I should learn a trade, like carpentry, plumber or something so that I can always find work in any country, he said i should eat lots of fruits and should learn how to play an instrument, unfortunately i only listened about the fruits.

uncle said I should master the english language at a young age, it's the basics of the basics. and he was right of course, but when he said I was just teenager so didn't care much.

thanks to english i had access to all the information available on any subject, plus communication with people from everywhere, plus better job and life opportunities.

mother said i should finish highschool and that was the only thing she asked me, she said it would help me in the future to find a job. that one was wrong, but i understand her because she did it with the best intention. but i've had more than 40 jobs so far and not even once they asked me for highschool papers, and anyway i lost them many years ago

but actually mother said many many things, as i grew up with her, she was by far the most influential behavioral example i could observe while growing up, all the patterns both positive and negative, that worked and dint work for her, so i would make sure not to make the same mistakes again

or.. make them consciously, and knowing why you i made them

once i know why i make a mistake then i have 4 options:

accept it and face the consequences (I have a hang over because i drank a lot last night because I'm stupid)

disguise the fact that i made a mistake by justifying it or rationalizing it so it wont look like a mistake at all (I have a hang over because social conventions dictate that's the optimal way to socialize with your peers, either at school or at work, it's perfectly normal to drink till you drop and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that)

ignoring it (I didn't drink last night)

accepting it and learning from it (I drank too much last night as a way of coping either with some repressed emotions or with the fact I'm not so happy with my life or the circumstances around me. From now on I'll deal with my problems instead of looking for ways to temporarily escape them while harming my body at the same time)


No comments:

Post a Comment