August 28, 2013

A good experience


While hitchhiking, got picked up by this guy

he was 82 and told me the story of his life

he had been working as a sailor and got to go to many countries in asia and south america

and was thrilled to meet people from distant lands

lived by himself in a very remote area of new zealand

only 20 people lived in his town

so he was feeling a bit lonely

invited me to stay at his place for a few days and offered me some cookies and coffee

was so glad to have someone to talk to

someone to keep him company

after some time, thinking about that good experience

i remembered other experience i had with the elderly

it was about 3 or 4 years ago, when i was in perth

just finished some meditation at the budhist temple and on the way back steeped into someones front garden

a very old guy came out and stared shouting "GET OUT OF MY PROPERTY!!" in a hostile tone

this leaves me to wonder how will I be when I'm 82

will i be like a greedy person who is afraid of strangers or would i be a friendly guy who picks them up and invites them in to have some cookies?

if I'm the first one I have to say sorry to you all

you have to understand I'm this way because i'm afraid of other people, specially people who have less than me, because I'm afraid they will take the things i worked so hard to achieve

I'm afraid they will take my precious

and if i'm the second guy i should say welcome to my house, this is my address: "---" and you're all always welcome

i've been helped by tons of people through out my life

been given money, food and shelter in countless countries

been taken care of when i was sick

they kept me company when i was lonely

and gave me a jacket when i was cold

my experiences taught me I'm not alone

we have to be kind to each other

and now it's MY time to pay it back

because it's just the right thing to do




No comments:

Post a Comment