April 12, 2013

Wearing old clothes


Few days before I left Argentina to go to Spain to see Gustavo, he said: Bring only the new clothes you have, leave all the old ones and broken ones behind.

Now some years later I find myself doing exactly the opposite.

If clothes look too new I feel guilty for wearing them, because I always feel I should be wearing old torn clothes and sleeping in the park with the homeless where I belong.

Can't go asking for a ride or food with new clothes, because they will think I don't really need them and just want to get stuff for free. That if I can afford those clothes, I can probably also pay for the bus or food.

Old clothes have a history, you've done so much with them and know they wont let you down. New ones I look at them and think "what should I do with this?" They look so delicate 'm afraid of losing them, breaking them, or wearing them.

And again I feel guilty, because of the environmental damage that was caused to produce, transport and distribute those new clothes. When I know we already have everything we need. Don't need to make new stuff, just need to lean how to share the ones we already have :)


No comments:

Post a Comment